Thursday, July 14, 2011

Mango Sorbet


One of the best kitchen appliances I ever bought was our ice cream maker!  It's a Cuisinart I got through Amazon and we use it so much I had to order a second freezing tub.  The freezing tub takes more time than they say to get cold enough to make good ice cream - I count on letting it sit in the freezer for two days before I even try.

I buy my frozen mangoes at Trader Joe's.  If you don't have one around, you could use fresh or any frozen that is only mango.  Some brands use citric acid as a wash when freezing - usually made from corn these days, not citrus.  Go figure!

Mango Sorbet

1 1/2 pound bag frozen mango pieces
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup organic sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice

1.  Dissolve sugar in water in a medium sized sauce pan.  Add the mango, cover, and bring to a boil.  Turn down heat so the mango is simmering and cook for about 5 minutes.  Let cool.

2.  Puree with the lemon juice in a blender.  Put in the refrigerator until really cold - at least half a day.

3.  Process according to your ice cream maker's instructions.  Put in the freezer for a few hours to harden a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment