Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Fruit Cobblers


A couple years ago we planted a bunch of fruit trees that are supposed to do well in the Sonoran Desert - Ana and Dorset Golden apples, Methley Plums, Black Mission figs, Mid-Pride and Tropic Snow peaches, Garden Prince Almonds, Hood Pears, and Li Jujubes.  This year we had bumper crops of plums and peaches and I just finished harvesting the last of a huge apple crop.

I haven't come up with a good pie crust yet that uses only rice flour and no xanthan gum, but I did put together a really good fruit cobbler recipe.  We've tried it with the peaches (that's when I added peaches to my allergy list) and apples - I can see it working really well with plums, cherries, and berries also.


Fruit Cobbler

About 4 cups of fruit
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon rice flour

1 cup rice flour
2 tsp. organic sugar
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup Spectrum palm shortening
1 T lemon juice + water to equal 1/2 cup
1 Tablespoon homemade vanilla
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons organic sugar

Mix the fruit with the 1/2 cup sugar and 1 T rice flour.  Put into an oiled 8 or 9 inch square baking dish.

Mix the flour, sugar, cream of tartar, and baking soda together.  Cut in the shortening.  Add the lemon water and vanilla and mix.  Spoon over the top of the fruit (or drop in clumps with your fingers).  Drizzle the top with olive oil and then sprinkle on the additional sugar.

Bake at 375 degrees for 40 - 45 minutes, until nicely browned.  I accidentally took mine out too soon - it should be browner than this!  I'll replace the photo next time I make one.

No comments:

Post a Comment